Pages

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Speaking English

A lot of people do not know that our first language is English.

*Incident one*
I went to NY last week.. at the customs.. I presented my passport and the lady told me that I have to fill up the Green Card..

"Which language do you like?"
"English"
"We have a wide variety of languages you can choose from.. are you sure you want it in English?"
At that point, I was so tempted to ask "Do you have Singlish?"

*Incident two*
I met a chinese girl on the shuttle bus. After some greetings, she asked me in Chinese to speak a few sentences in Singapore language (说几句新加坡语). I gave her puzzled look and asked "Singapore language?" (什么新加坡语?)
She asked "What language do you speak in Singapore?"
I replied "English."
She gave a surprised face and said "Oh."


No comments:

Post a Comment